From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:51:30
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 11:59 +0100, Jose San Leandro wrote:
3 >> That is enough once you know how to write ebuilds.
4 >>
5 >> We were thinking of a GUI to soften the learning curve to non-experts.
6 >> Probably not useful for a Gentoo developer, but could provide an easy way to
7 >> write ebuilds to project maintainers themselves, not to Gentoo resources.
8 >
9 > I think what everyone means here is that if the default functions don't
10 > cover it, and an eclass doesn't cover it, then all of the code will have
11 > to be written by hand, anyway. No amount of pretty clicky interfaces
12 > will help this.
13 >
14 > The only thing I would really see as being useful would be a simple help
15 > system that is aware of all of the functions in ebuilds. This could be
16 > possible if there were some standardized way to document functions and
17 > their uses, so it could be parsed at run-time from the tree itself, but
18 > currently, I don't see it getting much traction. Don't get me wrong, I
19 > see lots of places where work could be done to make things easier, such
20 > as some way to easily determine dependencies. I just don't think it is
21 > possible to write up an IDE until more work is done defining the current
22 > eclasses and functions into something more static.
25 It'd be very difficult to replace just 'opening a text editor' by an
26 IDE. Though you might probably come up with very cool ideas ; like for
27 example, an eclass browser that could search function based on name or
28 descriptions of what the developer is looking for; probably with some
29 hierarchy view for surfing them.
30
31 At the end, i guess a text editor would be the best option; but that
32 doesn't mean you can't try new methods/ideas.
33
34 Regards,
38 Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
39 Gentoo Linux