From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:53:12
1 On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 11:59 +0100, Jose San Leandro wrote:
2 > That is enough once you know how to write ebuilds.
3 >
4 > We were thinking of a GUI to soften the learning curve to non-experts.
5 > Probably not useful for a Gentoo developer, but could provide an easy way to
6 > write ebuilds to project maintainers themselves, not to Gentoo resources.
7
8 I think what everyone means here is that if the default functions don't
9 cover it, and an eclass doesn't cover it, then all of the code will have
10 to be written by hand, anyway. No amount of pretty clicky interfaces
11 will help this.
12
13 The only thing I would really see as being useful would be a simple help
14 system that is aware of all of the functions in ebuilds. This could be
15 possible if there were some standardized way to document functions and
16 their uses, so it could be parsed at run-time from the tree itself, but
17 currently, I don't see it getting much traction. Don't get me wrong, I
18 see lots of places where work could be done to make things easier, such
19 as some way to easily determine dependencies. I just don't think it is
20 possible to write up an IDE until more work is done defining the current
21 eclasses and functions into something more static.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
26 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
27 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
28 Gentoo Foundation