From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Finger GLEP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:01:13
1 On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:33:14AM -0400, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 >
3 > The efforts we have underway with secure portage will require developers to
4 > have and maintain a GPG key. It will also require them to place said key
5 > on a public keyserver.
8 Cool, problem solved.
9
10 > Well, at this point, I'm inclined to reject this GLEP and/or ask you to
11 > re-work it to incorporate some of the changes suggested by myself and
12 > others. Specifically:
15 Cool, it was just a proposal.
16
17 > * Data needs to be maintained in one central repository.
18
19 I never meant to dispute this, i have no problem with storing
20 information wherever you like. The .plans, .projects and .pgpkeys in my
21 proposal would be a means of easily distributing pgpkeys (for _NON_
22 portage use, eg personal keyrings, encrypting emails, verifying patches,
23 etc, etc), and presenting information for interested users that would be
24 up to the developer to maintain, eg status updates, project activities, etc.
25
26 > * I'm not opposed to offering fingerd as a means of data transport, as long
27 > as it pulls data from the central repository mentioned above.
28
29 Well, im not so keen on that idea, although not totally opposed if your
30 not open to discussion on it.
31
32 The proposal was meant as a means for a developer to easily keep some
33 information that applies to them personally, and their work on any
34 projects, etc. And would be entirely up to them as to the format.
35
36 > * I'd also be open to allowing devs the option of *supplementing* the
37 > information available via fingerd by creating a .plan or whatever.
38 > However, the core info (GPG key, name, herds info, etc.) needs to be
39 > maintained in the central repository.
40
41 This is essentially what i was proposing.
42
43 > Basically, I see the benefits of offering fingerd as a service to our users
44 > and am willing to support that, infrastructure-wise.
45
46 Excellent!
47
48 > I do not agree, however, that fingerd should be the *primary* method of distributing this
49 > info.
50
51 I totally agree, and would not have proposed this.
52
53 > nor do I support the idea of storing critical information such as GPG
54 > keys in developer home dirs -- at least not as the primary "official"
55 > repository.
56
57 well, if by primary repository you mean where secure portage will obtain
58 the keys from, i dont mind that at all. The finger server in my proposal
59 would be for the benfit of users, and other developers, not a means of
60 implementing the improvements to portage.
64 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my gpg key.
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list