From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Finger GLEP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:33:48
1 On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:35:19AM +0000 or thereabouts, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
2 > Well, however you choose to distribute keys theres the problem of
3 > getting everybody to create one..thats hardly a huge issue, and the
4 > problem exists for every method of distribution..using a keys.gentoo.org
5 > webserver is still "rendered useless" if you cant get everybody to
6 > generate and upload a key, how do you propose to deal with that?
7
8 The efforts we have underway with secure portage will require developers to
9 have and maintain a GPG key. It will also require them to place said key
10 on a public keyserver.
11
12 > none of the issues apply solely to my solution, and im certain the
13 > benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
14
15 Well, at this point, I'm inclined to reject this GLEP and/or ask you to
16 re-work it to incorporate some of the changes suggested by myself and
17 others. Specifically:
18
19 * Data needs to be maintained in one central repository.
20 * I'm not opposed to offering fingerd as a means of data transport, as long
21 as it pulls data from the central repository mentioned above.
22 * I'd also be open to allowing devs the option of *supplementing* the
23 information available via fingerd by creating a .plan or whatever.
24 However, the core info (GPG key, name, herds info, etc.) needs to be
25 maintained in the central repository.
26
27 Basically, I see the benefits of offering fingerd as a service to our users
28 and am willing to support that, infrastructure-wise. I do not agree,
29 however, that fingerd should be the *primary* method of distributing this
30 info, nor do I support the idea of storing critical information such as GPG
31 keys in developer home dirs -- at least not as the primary "official"
32 repository.
33
34 --kurt