From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Finger GLEP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:35:23
1 On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:22:06AM -0400, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:02:10AM +0000 or thereabouts, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
3 > >
4 > > imho, if all developers just created a ~/.pgpkey the fingerd will be
5 > > worth having (i'll explain below why i think this is the best medium for
6 > > key distribution).
7 >
8 > You still haven't explained how we will ensure the data are up to date and
9 > complete. imo, this method of distribution is only useful if there is 100%
10 > participation. A cornerstone of your argument is that it's easy for the
11 > user to "finger developer@g.o" to get their key. My point is that's
12 > useless if they can't rely upon *always* being able to get that
13 > information.
16 Well, however you choose to distribute keys theres the problem of
17 getting everybody to create one..thats hardly a huge issue, and the
18 problem exists for every method of distribution..using a keys.gentoo.org
19 webserver is still "rendered useless" if you cant get everybody to
20 generate and upload a key, how do you propose to deal with that?
21
22 imho, even if for some reason a developer decides not to upload a key,
23 the finger daemon will still provide information like last time mail was
24 received, last login, etc...still useful in my opinion.
25
26 > which would be trivially easy to set up. We could even use mod_rewrite to
27 > redirect that to a public keyserver relieving us from having to administer
28 > anything locally. (see below for why all keys will be on public
29 > keyservers)
32 sure, im not disputing its possible, but distributing keys via http is
33 ugly imho.
34
35 > Checks need to be mandatory and, afaik, are on the feature list to be built
36 > into Portage. Thus, keys *will* be on public keyservers and checks *will*
37 > be made.
40 of course, but people will still want and need to add developer keys to
41 their personal keyrings.
42
43 > > making the keys available via finger means it will be simple to get any
44 > > keys into gpg from the command line on one line, eg:
45 > >
46 > > $ finger klieber@g.o | gpg --import
47 >
48 > or $ wget http://keys.gentoo.org/devname.gpg | gpg --import
49 >
50 > My point is there are multiple 'easy' ways of accomplishing this task.
51 > finger is not the only solution.
54 well, more like
55
56 $ wget -O - -q http://keys.gentoo.org/devname.gpg | gpg --import
57
58 and good luck getting people to remember that. surely you can
59 agree that accessing the key via finger (especially as the request is in
60 the form of an email address) is a much more elegant solution?
61
62 > Again, I am open to considering the idea of running fingerd as an alternate
63 > means of transporting data, but at this point, I am not convinced that
64 > storing things in /home directories is the right/best solution.
65 >
66 > --kurt
67
68 none of the issues apply solely to my solution, and im certain the
69 benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
73 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my gpg key.
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list