From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Finger GLEP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:22:39
1 On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:02:10AM +0000 or thereabouts, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
2 > > What ensures that the data available via fingerd will be a) complete
3 > > (meaning how will you ensure all developers participate) and b) up-to-date?
4 > > IMO, we need to identify one master source of information and *ensure* that
5 > > is used and kept up-to-date. If we want to provide multiple avenues to
6 > > access that info, that's fine, but we need one database, not multiple ones.
7 >
8 > imho, if all developers just created a ~/.pgpkey the fingerd will be
9 > worth having (i'll explain below why i think this is the best medium for
10 > key distribution).
11
12 You still haven't explained how we will ensure the data are up to date and
13 complete. imo, this method of distribution is only useful if there is 100%
14 participation. A cornerstone of your argument is that it's easy for the
15 user to "finger developer@g.o" to get their key. My point is that's
16 useless if they can't rely upon *always* being able to get that
17 information.
18
19 > making the keys available via the website is not ideal, getting it into
20 > a keyring involves a few steps, eg:
21 >
22 > 1) fire up web browser, navigate to query page
23 > 2) enter dev name, and then copy and paste key into text
24 > or copy and paste url for wget to fetch
25 > 3) gpg --import < saved_file
26 > 4) rm saved_file, etc, etc.
27
28 Or, you could just do:
29
30 wget http://keys.gentoo.org/devname.gpg
31
32 which would be trivially easy to set up. We could even use mod_rewrite to
33 redirect that to a public keyserver relieving us from having to administer
34 anything locally. (see below for why all keys will be on public
35 keyservers)
36
37 > and putting the keys onto keyservers would involve getting users to
38 > check fingerprints, and distributing those fingerprints (agreed, checks
39 > should always be made anyway, but in reality i cant see that happening).
40
41 Checks need to be mandatory and, afaik, are on the feature list to be built
42 into Portage. Thus, keys *will* be on public keyservers and checks *will*
43 be made.
44
45 > making the keys available via finger means it will be simple to get any
46 > keys into gpg from the command line on one line, eg:
47 >
48 > $ finger klieber@g.o | gpg --import
49
50 or $ wget http://keys.gentoo.org/devname.gpg | gpg --import
51
52 My point is there are multiple 'easy' ways of accomplishing this task.
53 finger is not the only solution.
54
55 > Also, should a developer revoke or regenerate a key, they would have to
56 > contact someone with cvs access to the website to update it, with
57 > fingerd they can just login (or scp) to dev.g.o and update the key
58 > themselves, which would take effect immediately. I am totally confident
59 > this is the simplest and best medium for distributing developer keys.
60
61 No, if a dev needs to revoke a key, they need to send out a revocation and
62 yank it from all the keyservers. Devs would still be able to do this
63 outside of cvs using the mod_rewrite example I mentioned above.
64
65 Again, I am open to considering the idea of running fingerd as an alternate
66 means of transporting data, but at this point, I am not convinced that
67 storing things in /home directories is the right/best solution.
68
69 --kurt