From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Finger GLEP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:02:12
1 On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 07:27:37PM -0400, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > OK, I guess this one is an infrastructure GLEP to approve/reject. I'd also
3 > like to get input from seemant as the devrel manager.
4 >
5 > I have security concerns about running fingerd, but I can see how the
6 > benefits outweigh the risks in this case.
7
8 I thought some people might, im not sure what the specific issues you
9 have are, but I know that a lot of people have had the "finger == bad"
10 hammered into them, partly due to the information leakage, and partly as
11 some of the early (pre 1980s) implementations were famously poor.
12
13 I'm confident it is totally secure to use fingerd, and i included the
14 list of famous sites using fingerd as precedent...but i understand it
15 still makes some admins nervous :)
16
17 > However, there are still several
18 > areas that I don't see being addressed by this GLEP:
19 >
20 > 1) We already suffer from what I call "information sprawl" right now,
21 > meaning we have the same information spread out across multiple places,
22 > with no one place being the "master repository". The net result of this is
23 > that users have to hunt through multiple repositories to try to find out
24 > which one the developer chose to use for their particular query.
25
26 agreed, but i think the specific type of information that would be kept
27 in .plans is not available in any easy form right now, i guess tracking
28 cvs commits and searching through usernames with bugzilla is the closest
29 way you can get to an activity report, which is just not practical for
30 most users, and even developers in a rush would probably not bother.
31
32 > What ensures that the data available via fingerd will be a) complete
33 > (meaning how will you ensure all developers participate) and b) up-to-date?
34 > IMO, we need to identify one master source of information and *ensure* that
35 > is used and kept up-to-date. If we want to provide multiple avenues to
36 > access that info, that's fine, but we need one database, not multiple ones.
39 imho, if all developers just created a ~/.pgpkey the fingerd will be
40 worth having (i'll explain below why i think this is the best medium for
41 key distribution). In the implementations i have seen, people have
42 always kept their .plans reasonably up to date, its an easy way to keep
43 people notified of things that they are working on (or an in depth
44 description of their responsibilities, etc) and if the finger daemon was
45 well known about (mentioned in gwn, for example) it will give users a
46 chance to check for updates before firing off an email.
47
48 > 2) Tangental to the issue above, we've already talked about placing things
49 > like GPG keys on the web site in XML format and pulling the other info (dev
50 > name, location, projects, etc.) in via XML as well. Why is the fingerd
51 > solution a better one? Items on the web site are updated hourly. I can't
52 > think of too many cases where that type of freshness isn't timely enough.
53 >
54 > --kurt
55
56 Yep, i suggested a fingerd at the time. imho, its the best way for
57 distributing keys.
58
59 making the keys available via the website is not ideal, getting it into
60 a keyring involves a few steps, eg:
61
62 1) fire up web browser, navigate to query page
63 2) enter dev name, and then copy and paste key into text
64 or copy and paste url for wget to fetch
65 3) gpg --import < saved_file
66 4) rm saved_file, etc, etc.
67
68 and putting the keys onto keyservers would involve getting users to
69 check fingerprints, and distributing those fingerprints (agreed, checks
70 should always be made anyway, but in reality i cant see that happening).
71 making the keys available via finger means it will be simple to get any
72 keys into gpg from the command line on one line, eg:
73
74 $ finger klieber@g.o | gpg --import
75
76 the user can be confident the key is really yours, and only one basic
77 command is required (you can test this with my key, my address is in my
78 .sig).
79
80 Also, should a developer revoke or regenerate a key, they would have to
81 contact someone with cvs access to the website to update it, with
82 fingerd they can just login (or scp) to dev.g.o and update the key
83 themselves, which would take effect immediately. I am totally confident
84 this is the simplest and best medium for distributing developer keys.
85
86 Thanks, Tavis.
90 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my gpg key.
94 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list