From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:20:59
1 On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On 24-07-2012 14:52:43 -0400, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
5 >>>> This is a change that will break all new installs and expecting
6 >>>> experienced gentoo users to read the handbook is simply a fantasy.
7 >>> I don't see how it breaks. And secondly, if you do refuse to read the
8 >>> manual, why don't you refuse to read elogs, news messages, and what
9 >>> more?
10 >> The difference is that news only communicates what is "news." Unless
11 >> the manual contains a revision history it contains everything you
12 >> already know, perhaps with a gem buried in there somewhere.
13 >>
14 >> This is the same reason why when something is wrong with Chromium you
15 >> are supposed to post a 5-line patch to the bug and not a 300MB tarball
16 >> with the patch applied, though at least in that case modern tools
17 >> actually make finding the change fairly easy.
18 >>
19 >>> Do we really have to babysit people, because they think they're too
20 >>> smart to check on the manual once again? Or when they notice things
21 >>> seem different? Any search engine is your friend.
22 >> There is the principle of not surprising people. This is a big change
23 >> - a file central to the config of Gentoo that has been in one place
24 >> for more than a decade, and is now moving. The change makes sense and
25 >> should be embraced, but there is no harm in pointing it out.
26 >>
27 >> Sure, when my system breaks I'm pretty smart and can usually figure
28 >> out how to fix it. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a
29 >> heads-up before it breaks.
30
31 [snip]
32
33 > +1
34 >
35 > I might also add, I printed the manual years ago. I rarely look at the
36 > online version.
37 >
38 > User opinion. Back to eating my apple pie.
39
40 Another user opinion...it would be a significant improvement to the
41 stage images and live discs to include the latest copy of the
42 handbook, so that a network connection isn't required to access it.
43 But that's probably a subject for a different thread. And I think
44 that's at least three topics, now, this thread has touched on.
47 :wq