From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:03:38
1 On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:12:08 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | What's needed is an extension of the portage configuration so that
4 | it's able to specify multiple standalone repos, slaved (overlay)
5 | repos chained against the standalones, package.* filters applied to
6 | each repo, etc.
7
8 Standalone doesn't fit in with the way things can be used. For any
9 non-trivial case there will be inter-repository dependencies. Why not
10 view your "collection of available packages" as the union of "packages
11 available in any repository" instead?
12
13 | Local news delivery *should* still be using the user label. Unique
14 | repo internal labels don't matter to glep42, since the label that
15 | news delivery _should_ use is what the user's configuration has named
16 | it.
17 |
18 | Just stating it, since tagging a unique id into the repo isn't a hold
19 | up for glep42. What is an issue with glep42 is planning for N repos,
20 | eg another level of dirs/indirection as has already been stated.
21
22 The holdup for GLEP 42 is that you're trying to demand that it supports
23 some arbitrary future extension to Portage without specifying how that
24 extension will work.
27 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
28 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
29 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm