From: Zach Forrest <zach@××××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A nice idea to improve portage
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:40:54
1 You could also have "logmessages" FEATURE (in make.conf) that, if
2 enabled, logged the output of einfo, etc.
3
4 MooktaKiNG wrote:
5 > But i usually start an emerge and then do && halt
6 >
7 > This shutsdown gentoo after the emerge.
8 >
9 > Its still the same problem.
10 >
11 > But why can't we have both?
12 >
13 > A readme should not me too hard. The person who makes the actual
14 > ebuild just types a small README to explain stuff. Thats all.
18 >>>I know i know. there are some text at the end of the emerge that
19 >>>says what you should do.
20 >>>
21 >>>But when your doind multiple emerge's one after the other and you
22 >>>leave gentoo todo its thing. You don't see the text.
23 >>>
24 >>>So if there was a nice README file that explain the 'extra'
25 >>>setting
26 >>>needed on each dir in portage then it would make things a LOT
27 >>>easier
28 >>>and would be very helpful.
29 >>
30 >>Honestly, I think I'd much prefer if portage just queued all of
31 >>those
32 >>messages and displayed them at the end of the emerge. If that
33 >>information was in a README, you'd have to go, find, and read the
34 >>README
35 >>for every package and dependency that you install. That's a lot of
36 >>work.
37 >>Since portage is supposed to be non-interactive, it shouldn't assume
38 >>that you're gonna stick around watching the terminal while it does
39 >>its
40 >>thing. ;)
41 >>
42 >>- John
43 >>
44 >>--
45 >>
46 >>Love justice; desire mercy.
49 >>--
50 >>gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
57 > Please wait while you are redirected to my signature......
58 >
59 > --
60 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list