From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments to [STABLE] bugs
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:40:16
1 On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 16:46 +0200, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > N -1 arch dev's comfort against N arch devs' annoyance[1].
3
4 <big snip>
5
6 > [1] Note that I am aware that not all other-arch devs might experience
7 > inline `emerge info` for other arches as annoying.
8
9 I am on the alpha, amd64, and x86 arch teams. I have found that even
10 emails from architectures I'm not currently looking at tend to have a
11 great significance. It seems to me that most of the failures are
12 USE-flag related more than architecture specific. As I said, the best
13 solution that I can see to do *both* reducing junk and still keeping the
14 information inline is to have the ATs only add emerge --info on
15 failures, and to just mention the architecture and *relevant" USE on
16 success.
17
18 ex.
19
20 gcc 4.1.1 works on x86 with the following:
21
22 USE="gtk nls -bootstrap -build -doc -fortran -gcj -hardened -ip28
23 -ip32r10k -mudflap -multislot -nocxx -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test
24 -vanilla"
25
26 This still gives us most of the pertinent information without the rest
27 of the "spam" of emerge --info. It makes the emails from bugzilla still
28 usable for those of us that don't waste the time to open up bugzilla for
29 every bug. I do most of my bug management via email. I open the bug
30 *only* when I need to comment, or after I've performed the work
31 requested. Having to open the bug every time would be a complete waste
32 of time for me. Much more so than simply *deleting* an email that
33 doesn't pertain to me, or scrolling past unimportant information.
34
35 I would find that this change would be disruptive to my ability to work
36 on these architecture teams. As stated before, sometimes another
37 architecture's problem can point you at something to test. If a certain
38 USE combination doesn't work on x86, wouldn't you want to test it on
39 hppa specifically to make sure that it isn't a global issue? I know
40 that I sure test any combinations from $other_arches when testing for a
41 given $arch, if they've reported a failure.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
46 x86 Architecture Team
47 Games - Developer