From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments to [STABLE] bugs
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:04:55
1 On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:27:29 -0400
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I am on the alpha, amd64, and x86 arch teams. I have found that even
5 > emails from architectures I'm not currently looking at tend to have a
6 > great significance. It seems to me that most of the failures are
7 > USE-flag related more than architecture specific. As I said, the best
8 > solution that I can see to do *both* reducing junk and still keeping
9 > the information inline is to have the ATs only add emerge --info on
10 > failures, and to just mention the architecture and *relevant" USE on
11 > success.
12
13 And do you propose ATs still attach `emerge info` in this solution?
14
15 > ex.
16 >
17 > gcc 4.1.1 works on x86 with the following:
18 >
19 > USE="gtk nls -bootstrap -build -doc -fortran -gcj -hardened -ip28
20 > -ip32r10k -mudflap -multislot -nocxx -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test
21 > -vanilla"
22
23 Looks OK to me. But hey, aren't arch devs and testers alike supposed to
24 test (almost) all flags? And also, wouldn't you also want to know about
25 FEATURES, specifically FEATURES='{test,collision-detect}'? How about
26 KEYWORDS? You would still need to be able to find the full `emerge info`
27 in an attachment, I guess.
28
29 > This still gives us most of the pertinent information without the rest
30 > of the "spam" of emerge --info. It makes the emails from bugzilla
31 > still usable for those of us that don't waste the time to open up
32 > bugzilla for every bug. I do most of my bug management via email. I
33 > open the bug *only* when I need to comment, or after I've performed
34 > the work requested. Having to open the bug every time would be a
35 > complete waste of time for me. Much more so than simply *deleting*
36 > an email that doesn't pertain to me, or scrolling past unimportant
37 > information.
38
39 So we are still looking for a compromise that will place the burden on
40 the $arch ADs and ATs, not the $other_arch devs, right? Currently it's
41 basically a mindless integral copy/paste action which benefits only a
42 few.
43
44 > I would find that this change would be disruptive to my ability to
45 > work on these architecture teams. As stated before, sometimes another
46 > architecture's problem can point you at something to test. If a
47 > certain USE combination doesn't work on x86, wouldn't you want to
48 > test it on hppa specifically to make sure that it isn't a global
49 > issue? I know that I sure test any combinations from $other_arches
50 > when testing for a given $arch, if they've reported a failure.
51
52 I still think failures should be reported in separate bugs, as they are
53 likely to cause lots more information to be passed.
56 Kind regards,
57 JeR
58 --
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list