From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Glep 55 use case: moving slot to file name
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:40:19
1 On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:12:30 +0300
2 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 > Icedtea has two release tracks. One for the 1.7 OpenJDK code base and
4 > one for the 1.6 code base. They have independent version numbering so
5 > they can have collisions. By moving the slot to the file name we
6 > could have icedtea-1.2:1.6.ebuildN and icedtea-1.2:1.7.ebuildN. This
7 > particular situation can be worked around of course but it might also
8 > be better to keep the slot in the file name any way because I often
9 > find myself needing to know the slot of an ebuild (adjutrix -k of
10 > course already does this for me quite nicely).
11
12 Allowing multiple slots per version would require significant VDB
13 changes. Unfortunately we're still stuck with using VDB as-is whilst
14 EAPIs 0, 1 or 2 hang around...
17 Ciaran McCreesh