From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:11:44
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
5 >
6 > If I were to guess I'd say people are a little confused that this
7 > required action/decision this quickly and outside of a regular council
8 > meeting -- for a real emergency situation, you'd probably see a lot less
9 > of a hub-bub about it. But, come on, this is a 3-package issue.
10
11 Perhaps they wanted to make sure it remained a 3-package issue, and
12 thought that it might grow before it could be addressed?
13
14 This all seems a bit like a tempest in a teapot to me, and I don't mean
15 to single out any individual's contribution to this discussion.
16
17 The council has stated that multiple version suffixes are to be avoided.
18 I doubt they're going to suspend any developer who hasn't cleaned up
19 their packages by Friday. I'm sure they're happy to see discussion on
20 - -dev regarding pros and cons of various ways of implementing this change
21 before it happens, and in the meantime new packages going into portage
22 will be mindful of the policy from the start. If a particular package
23 needs a month to sort out some really messy issue I'm sure the
24 maintainer would be treated reasonably if they simply emailed a council
25 member about it.
26
27 Gentoo is a community, and sometimes people in a community don't always
28 agree. Somebody has to make a decision, and we can't make every hill
29 the one we're willing to die on. The council will generally represent
30 the majority opinion of developers, simply due to the fact that it is an
31 elected body.
32
33 Sometimes in a community cohesiveness is more important than
34 productivity, because it is the ability to mobilize hordes of developers
35 that matters more than the contributions of any individual. Sometimes
36 that means an elegant solution to a problem gets put on the back burner
37 for a few months. Sometimes that means that a developer who is
38 unusually productive is asked to cool down a little. Personally, my
39 feeling has always been that if you want to avoid politics then avoid
40 doing things that create political messes (flamewars, heated discussion,
41 etc). If you disagree passionately with somebody about something, try
42 having a private email conversation where both of you can let down your
43 guard and try to understand each other's concerns. And then don't go
44 quoting each other all over public lists to bolster your arguments...
45
46 Remember, everybody is here to make Gentoo a better product, because
47 we're all users as well as contributors. When users file poorly-worded
48 bugs they're just trying to help, and when some developer makes an
49 "idiotic" decision they probably think they're doing the right thing.
50 That means that they're going to be automatically predisposed to helping
51 you out if you just ask nicely.
52
53 When posting as a user in bugzilla I've been flamed more than a few
54 times (and not just on gentoo). I just try to be as polite as I can -
55 after all I'm the one asking for a little help and somebody else is
56 taking the time to help me. After all, it doesn't cost me anything, and
57 down the road it could pay dividends. The same applies in reverse -
58 being nice to others doesn't really cost you anything, and you never
59 know when you will need their help down the road...

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature