From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:51:03
1 On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 06:49 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > BSD is a second class citizen to GNU here. Gentoo started out as a project
3 > targetting a GNU userland under Linux and will continue for quite sometime
4 > (forever?) as the majority/core focus. forcing the project to limit itself
5 > when there is no gain (yet plenty of pain) for the majority of users is a no
6 > brainer: no.
7
8 Well, let me be the first to stand for equal rights then!
9
10 Anyway, this was about changing the portage tree syntax from bash to
11 posix shell, not gnu vs bsd vs userland tools. The arguments are not the
12 same as bash supports posix shell whereas gnu tools don't support bsd
13 extensions and bsd tools don't support gnu extensions.
14
15 I say that for the most part, there should be no technical reason why
16 ebuilds cannot be in posix shell whilst being readable and maintainable.
17
18 If portage or another package manager wishes to uses bash to parse
19 ebuilds and eclasses, more power to them! I won't stop that. I just want
20 the ability for other shells to do the same. It isn't hard, and you
21 don't need to be a rocket scientist. It's not an overnight change, but a
22 gradual change.
23
24 Thanks
25