From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:02:33
1 On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 06:10 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Roy Marples wrote:
4 > > > A common parlance on Slashdot when referring to Microsoft is that
5 > > > monoculture is bad. Forcing bash and GNU tools down everyones throat is
6 > > > no better - it's just replacing one monoculture with another one.
7 > >
8 > > wrong. bash and GNU prevail because they provide useful extensions. it
9 > > may be worthwhile to force `find` in the portage environment to be GNU
10 > > find so we can stop wasting time trying to figure out how to rewrite
11 > > expressions in ebuilds (which can be done trivially with GNU) with a
12 > > limited functionality set (such as POSIX).
13 >
14 > BSD find also has the similar extensions, just implemented differently.
15 >
16 > > i may also point out that many GNU extensions get codified in POSIX over
17 > > time ... why ? because *they are useful*.
18 >
19 > By the same token I should be able to use BSD extensions if said program
20 > also works on Linux. Also, BSD extensions get codified in POSIX also. My
21 > understanding is that a lot of POSIX is based on BSD4.
22
23 BSD is a second class citizen to GNU here. Gentoo started out as a project
24 targetting a GNU userland under Linux and will continue for quite sometime
25 (forever?) as the majority/core focus. forcing the project to limit itself
26 when there is no gain (yet plenty of pain) for the majority of users is a no
27 brainer: no.
28 -mike