From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:46:00
1 On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 06:10 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > A common parlance on Slashdot when referring to Microsoft is that
4 > > monoculture is bad. Forcing bash and GNU tools down everyones throat is
5 > > no better - it's just replacing one monoculture with another one.
6 >
7 > wrong. bash and GNU prevail because they provide useful extensions. it may
8 > be worthwhile to force `find` in the portage environment to be GNU find so we
9 > can stop wasting time trying to figure out how to rewrite expressions in
10 > ebuilds (which can be done trivially with GNU) with a limited functionality
11 > set (such as POSIX).
12
13 BSD find also has the similar extensions, just implemented differently.
16 > i may also point out that many GNU extensions get codified in POSIX over
17 > time ... why ? because *they are useful*.
18
19 By the same token I should be able to use BSD extensions if said program
20 also works on Linux. Also, BSD extensions get codified in POSIX also. My
21 understanding is that a lot of POSIX is based on BSD4.
22
23 Roy
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list