From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] package.deprecated to mark packages deprecated and report dependencies
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 19:55:39
1 On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:10 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > leio asked me yesterday for the possibility of marking packages
6 > as deprecated, so that CI would issue warnings when other packages
7 > depend on them. I think that's quite a good idea, so I'd like to
8 > propose a simple implementation for it.
9 >
10 > The idea is to provide profiles/package.deprecated using the same format
11 > as package.mask. However, unlike the latter it wouldn't cause any user-
12 > visible results but only affect pkgcheck (and possibly repoman, if
13 > someone writes the check).
14 >
15 > Basically you'd put something like:
16 >
17 > # name <email> (date)
18 > # We don't like this package anymore, so we want to remove it ASAP.
19 > dev-foo/bar
20 >
21 > # name <email> (date)
22 > # Old slot is not nice at all.
23 > dev-bar/frobnicate:0.1
24 >
25 > # name <email> (date)
26 > # Nononono, don't use that.
27 > <dev-zoo/elephant-
28 > 11.0
29 >
30 > This would cause matching packages to be marked as deprecated. It
31 > wouldn't affect normal install behavior but pkgcheck/CI would complain
32 > if any package had a dependency that can only be satisfied
33 > by the deprecated packages.
34 >
35 > What do you think?
36
37 I think it's a great idea. It would have been perfect for the
38 x11-proto/* -> x11-base/xorg-proto transition.