From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel-Modules
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 16:00:01
1 On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:17:42AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > I give you a short information how we want to handle module
4 > configuration in the future.
5
6 The entire concept sounds very good, since it'll allow things to be
7 more automatic, but at the same time, this plan doesn't alienate
8 knowledgable users from their modules.conf.
9
10 > The modules.* files in /etc/moules can include preprocessor commands
11 > like
12 >
13 > #IfModule ppp.o
14 > <definitions here>
15 > #EndIfModule
16
17 Couldn't the filename simply be "mod.ppp", and then the contents would be the
18 literal definitions to be added to modules.conf? Then we don't need a parser.
19 Or do you want to be able to add more advanced functionality, such as nested
20 conditional statements? If so, we may want to look into using "cpp" instead
21 of writing our own macro processor.
22
23 > So you can configure your modules dependend on the existance of a module.
24 > Something similar is planned for /etc/modules.devfs
25
26 Explain how you'd like to handle devfs?
27
28 > Additionally I will add a script that regenerates /etc/modules.conf in the
29 > way described above and runs depmod -a after that. This script can be used
30 > from the commandline or from within packages pkg_postinst functions.
31
32 We could create a script called "mod-update" (companion to env-update and
33 rc-update). Eventually, maybe we'll have an administration frontend called
34 gentoo-update :)
35
36 > This way of handling should make it in rc4.
37 >
38 > Sould we make this method triggerable by a line in
39 > /etc/rc.d/config/basic ?
40 >
41 > MODULES_CONF="yes" <-> MODULES_CONF="no"
42
43 We should call the option MOD_UPDATE (yes/no), or create an option called
44 UPDATE which contains a list of "auto"-features to update, for example:
45 UPDATE="mod env devfs"
46
47 Once the new modules system is working, I think it should be enabled by
48 default.
49
50 Best Regards,
53 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>