From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: ALLARCHES
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 08:22:40
1 On 05/04/2016 06:46 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> The solution is to have people with an actual interest in a specific
5 >>> architecture determine whether stabilising a package is viable, and
6 >>> taking sensible action, like dropping stable keywords where applicable.
7 >>
8 >> If these people do not actually exist or are not doing their job by
9 >> culling the depgraph appropriately, we should really drop a number of
10 >> archs from "stable" status.
11 >
12 > I mostly agree, modulo the comment about people "doing their jobs".
13 > Arch testing completely sucks.
14 >
15 > Having built many stages for an "unstable" arch (mips) has taught me
16 > one thing: it's awful being unstable-only. There's no end to the
17 > compilation failures and other such headaches, none of which have
18 > anything at all to do with the specific architecture.
19
20 Thats bad
23 > Short of adding a middle level ("stable, wink wink nudge nudge") where
24 > things at least compile, I think the current situation is actually
25
26 If it doesn't compile on at least one architecture (the one where the
27 dev is doing the work) it shouldn't be committed to the tree at all, no
28 need for a middle layer.
29
30 > significantly better than the alternative of dropping them to
31 > unstable.
32
33 In a perfect world compile testing wouldn't be sufficient for stable
34 either, it actually should be properly tested before releasing it on
35 users and testsuites are sadly lacking in many situations. Even worse
36 for GUI applications that can't easily be tested without actual user
37 interaction, but as long as we keep servers in good shape I'm not
38 necessarily too worried about those, and it is possibly easier to spot
39 than a miscalculation in a statistics library
40
41 Maybe a workshop to write more testsuites is a fruitful event at some
42 point in time..
45 Kristian Fiskerstrand
46 OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
47 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3