From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: ALLARCHES
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 04:46:46
1 On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The solution is to have people with an actual interest in a specific
4 >> architecture determine whether stabilising a package is viable, and
5 >> taking sensible action, like dropping stable keywords where applicable.
6 >
7 > If these people do not actually exist or are not doing their job by
8 > culling the depgraph appropriately, we should really drop a number of
9 > archs from "stable" status.
10
11 I mostly agree, modulo the comment about people "doing their jobs".
12 Arch testing completely sucks.
13
14 Having built many stages for an "unstable" arch (mips) has taught me
15 one thing: it's awful being unstable-only. There's no end to the
16 compilation failures and other such headaches, none of which have
17 anything at all to do with the specific architecture.
18
19 Short of adding a middle level ("stable, wink wink nudge nudge") where
20 things at least compile, I think the current situation is actually
21 significantly better than the alternative of dropping them to
22 unstable.