From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Maintainer notes in metadata.xml?
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 01:03:08
1 Hi all,
2
3 I was wondering if we have space already, or if others would feel
4 strongly about making space for, maintainer notes in packages'
5 metadata.xml.
6
7 I ask this because I was looking through some crypto based packages that
8 require specific hardware that seems to have been maintained "at eye
9 level" for quite a while, such as pcsc-lite.
10
11 In this case, pcsc-lite has changed more than a few times its API, since
12 it tries to follow what Microsoft implements in Windows, and as such the
13 packages depending on it needed to actually follow closely. So for
14 instance, for pcsc-lite 1.6.1 you need ccid 1.3.1, while for pcsc-lite
15 1.6.4 you need ccid 1.4.0 – older versions of ccid will fail with modern
16 versions of pcsc-lite – but both eye-maintainers and arch teams didn't
17 know that and while we _had_ a broken stable tree for x86 and amd64, we
18 _still_ have broken stable trees for ppc/ppc64.
19
20 What I'm thinking of is having some sort of <maintainernotes> element,
21 but not a passive one that has to be tested for, rather something that
22 repoman would spit out on the terminal when doing a scan/full.
23
24 Comments?
27 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
28 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
29
30 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
31 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/