From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:10:27
1 On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:46:18 +0200
2 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Sonntag, 22. April 2007 schrieb Michael Cummings:
5 > > On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 08:47:54AM +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
6 > > > I do the same. The '$Header: $' tells me which version of a file
7 > > > in the CVS tree I last synced to in my overlay, then I can just do
8 > > > a cvs diff on the tree to get a patch of differences since then.
9 > > > Very useful.
10 > >
11 > > FWIW, I've used the $Header $ to determine if a person is looking at
12 > > the latest greatest or needs to synch up first (in particular when I
13 > > was dealing with an eclass bug). Very useful when dealing with bugs
14 > > and you need to confirm that the user is completely synch'd up and
15 > > looking at a current tree or not (because just asking when the last
16 > > time they synch'd doesn't help).
17 >
18 > This can be done using checksum like SHA1 much better, as people can
19 > edit their ebuilds/eclasses/profiles and forget/lie about it, and
20 > still have the same $Headers$ line.
21
22 In practice I find it's rare that a user has been hacking around in the
23 eclasses. All the SHA1 tells you is that it's not the most recent,
24 but it's not easy to determine from the SHA1 exactly which version they
25 do have (so it's not enough to determine what's different).
26
27 Having said that, the most accurate way to find out what they have is
28 to get them to attach the eclass and diff it yourself. However
29 relying on the SHA1 also means you can't just say things like, "Check
30 eclass <blah> is version 1.836 (look at the "$Header" line at the top
31 of the file)."
34 Kevin F. Quinn