From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:34:28
1 Am Sonntag, 22. April 2007 schrieb Michael Cummings:
2 > On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 08:47:54AM +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
3 > > I do the same. The '$Header: $' tells me which version of a file
4 > > in the CVS tree I last synced to in my overlay, then I can just do
5 > > a cvs diff on the tree to get a patch of differences since then.
6 > > Very useful.
7 >
8 > FWIW, I've used the $Header $ to determine if a person is looking at
9 > the latest greatest or needs to synch up first (in particular when I
10 > was dealing with an eclass bug). Very useful when dealing with bugs
11 > and you need to confirm that the user is completely synch'd up and
12 > looking at a current tree or not (because just asking when the last
13 > time they synch'd doesn't help).
14
15 This can be done using checksum like SHA1 much better, as people can
16 edit their ebuilds/eclasses/profiles and forget/lie about it, and still
17 have the same $Headers$ line.
18
19 Danny
20 --
21 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
22 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list