From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] LibreSSL, introduce virtual/openssl
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 07:16:59
1 Matthew Summers posted on Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:18:23 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > So, libressl is really nowhere near ready for prime time or even late
4 > night TV (perhaps the day time talk shows, but that is a stretch given
5 > the PRNG situation). I think preparing a virtual and updating dependent
6 > ebuilds for the explosion of replacements is grand, however we should
7 > make it _very_ clear to everyone that issues exist that make libressl
8 > unsafe for anything other than play time.
9
10 Here's another link for those following along:
11
12 Ars-technica (via LWN):
13
14 OpenSSL fork LibreSSL is declared "unsafe for Linux"
15
16 http://lwn.net/Articles/605509/rss
17
18 Basically it's a pid-duplication issue, aka an "I'm my own grandpa"
19 issue, as someone mentions in the comments.
20
21 There's also a note both in the comments and now on the original Ars
22 article saying a patch has already been pushed, but the point stands,
23 "nowhere near ready for prime time" indeed.
24
25 It'll take a bit of time, but for now as already suggested, introducing
26 the virtual with the single openssl provider does seem reasonable.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman