From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] net community servers, in what category?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:53:03
1 Hi all,
2
3 I wanted to create some ebuilds for at least one community server (represented
4 by a bunch of ebuilds);
5
6 So, I was looking for the right category for all of those ebuilds that belong
7 to this software, however, I didn't find a proper category for each of them
8 at all :(
9
10 The software I am talking about is called YaCS (yet another community system)
11 and consists of the following parts (that are being split up into seperate
12 ebuilds):
13
14 dev-libs/libyacsutil
15 - the support library (client/server)
16 community-libs/libyacs
17 - the YaCS core framework library (server)
18 community-server/yacsd
19 - the UNIX daemon process finally serving the community
20 app-admin/yacsadmin
21 - the server console administration tool
22 app-benchmarks/yb
23 - a server benchmarking tool (think of / like: ab, the apache benchmark)
24 www-apache/mod_yacs
25 - the apache module that serves as the front-end for the end-users
26 community-server/yacs-meta
27 - the meta package for YaCS, in case everything has to be
28 run on a single server
29
30 Now, you see, I already proposed my (in my mind) ideal categories.
31 The problem are two packages I couldnn't fit into currently existing
32 categories.
33 In fact, we even haven't any community server in portage yet (and there do
34 exist quite a few).
35 So, I might have a little (continuous) brain-dead and though, would like to be
36 pointed to the right category for those two packages; otherwise, I'd like to
37 propose those two new categories - in that case: who's the karma to initiate
38 them?
39
40 Other community software I found (*and* are free):
41 * boo - http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~malsmith/products/boo/
42 * yChat - http://www.ychat.org/
43 * SPiN Chat System - http://chat.spin.de/en/ (dunno what kinda license it is)
44
45 note: while browsing google, I found lots of commercial software of this
46 subject and just a few few (serious) open sourced ones.
47
48 So, finally, in what category could those packages be placed in?
49
50 Thanks in advance,
51 Christian Parpart.
54 23:17:49 up 119 days, 12:25, 0 users, load average: 4.17, 2.57, 3.12