From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net community servers, in what category?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:12:37
1 On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 23:58 +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I wanted to create some ebuilds for at least one community server (represented
5 > by a bunch of ebuilds);
6 >
7 > So, I was looking for the right category for all of those ebuilds that belong
8 > to this software, however, I didn't find a proper category for each of them
9 > at all :(
10 >
11 > The software I am talking about is called YaCS (yet another community system)
12 > and consists of the following parts (that are being split up into seperate
13 > ebuilds):
14
15 So you're splitting this into separate ebuilds, or it comes that way
16 from upstream?
19 > dev-libs/libyacsutil
20 > - the support library (client/server)
21 > community-libs/libyacs
22 > - the YaCS core framework library (server)
23
24 dev-libs
25
26 > community-server/yacsd
27 > - the UNIX daemon process finally serving the community
28
29 net-misc, net-www
30
31 > app-admin/yacsadmin
32 > - the server console administration tool
33 > app-benchmarks/yb
34 > - a server benchmarking tool (think of / like: ab, the apache benchmark)
35 > www-apache/mod_yacs
36 > - the apache module that serves as the front-end for the end-users
37
38 These look good.
39
40 > community-server/yacs-meta
41 > - the meta package for YaCS, in case everything has to be
42 > run on a single server
43
44 net-misc or net-www
45
46 > Now, you see, I already proposed my (in my mind) ideal categories.
47 > The problem are two packages I couldnn't fit into currently existing
48 > categories.
49 > In fact, we even haven't any community server in portage yet (and there do
50 > exist quite a few).
51 > So, I might have a little (continuous) brain-dead and though, would like to be
52 > pointed to the right category for those two packages; otherwise, I'd like to
53 > propose those two new categories - in that case: who's the karma to initiate
54 > them?
55
56 You shouldn't create categories for anything less than about 10 to 20
57 ebuilds. The more the better, really.
58
59 > Other community software I found (*and* are free):
60 > * boo - http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~malsmith/products/boo/
61 > * yChat - http://www.ychat.org/
62 > * SPiN Chat System - http://chat.spin.de/en/ (dunno what kinda license it is)
63 >
64 > note: while browsing google, I found lots of commercial software of this
65 > subject and just a few few (serious) open sourced ones.
66 >
67 > So, finally, in what category could those packages be placed in?
68
69 Definitely not community-* as that is very much non-descriptive and
70 there's no need to create 2 categories for 2 packages.
73 Chris Gianelloni
75 Games - Developer
76 Gentoo Linux