From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bunch of bugs (nothing major - skip if you're not interested)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:49:12
1 Den 15 Aug 2001 05:09:11 +0000 skrev Don Davies:
2 > Sigh,
3
4 Hi! :)
5
6 > After trying to enlist help in the iRC channel to fix these,
7 > the impression was made that a team meeting had to take
8 > place before bugs could be fixed. I understand the
9 > underlying principle of not wanting to tread over other
10 > peoples territory.. but in reality we're talking about typos
11 > and small build fixes. If these cannot be immediately fixed
12 > and need a developer conference to resolve.. then well..
13 > Good Luck when the portage tree reaches several thousand
14 > packages. Is there no interest in fixing old stuff or what?
15
16 Ok, look like you got hold of the wrong guy ...
17 The team concept shouldn't be "used" like this, it's more to take some
18 burden from the shoulders of Drobbins and Achim.
19
20 Generally I do believe that fixes of this sort is better mailed here
21 than brough up on IRC. Because for example when there are = and one my
22 think it should be >= there _might_ be a reason why the developer has
23 done it this way. I think in those situation it's correct to say that it
24 should be brought to the developer responsible (or the team) for that
25 ebuild, therefor it's best to send it to the list.
26
27 If the error is of the typo-kinda way like 'fretype instead of freetype'
28 it should be fixes asap by any developer around, these kind of problems
29 shouldn't be a problem bringing up on IRC.
30
31 This doesn't say you can first try to ask on IRC.
32
33 > 1. the dev-lang/php/* ebuilds are erroneously referencing
34 > a *specific revision* of freetype-1 in the DEPEND line. These
35 > lines should have the = replaced with >= or better yet the
36 > new ~ syntax makes sense here.
37
38 So, does anyone knows why it's = instead of >=? (achim, any special
39 reason for this). I will for now use ~ instead.
40
41 > 2. The exact same bug is present in the media-libs/libgd
42 > ebuild. It needs to say >= freetype-1-r1 not =freetype-1-r1
43
44 Since it's here to I get the feeling that it is a reason why it's exact
45 one version. However there shouldn't be no problem with a later
46 revision. The ~ syntax is relativly new though and many packages will
47 probably need to be updated to use this.
48
49 Perhaps it's because of some incompatiblity issues between freetype-1
50 and freetype-2.
51
52 > 3. The minicom ebuild in the tree doesnt build complaining of
53 > a bad ko.mo file. I dont know if gettext-0.10.39 would solve the
54 > problem, but even as of the latest rc6 build image, 0.10.38 is
55 > being used. If somebody will add this quick hack/fix to the
56 > bottom of minicom's src_unpack, it will at least compile and install:
57 >
58 > cp po/Makefile po/Makefile.orig
59 > cat po/Makefile.orig | sed -e "s:ko.mo: :" > po/Makefile
60
61 Could someone please test this? (ryan?)
62 I'll add a todo for this.
63
64 > 4. The x11-wm/bbkeys ebuild is badly broken. Im afraid it
65 > needs to be reworked.. some parts are just plain wrong. For
66 > example the part where it tries to use DESTDIR for a Makefile
67 > that doesnt have such a construct. Its only 1 bin for that part
68 > anyway. I have a working one, which Ill post to gentoo-ebuild.
69
70 >From what I read, lordjoe has fixed this now.
71
72 > Most of this could have been fixed in 5 mins had somebody
73 > showed interest in doing so. Instead typos need a formal report?
74 > I dont mean to sound overly sarcastic, but surely we neednt go
75 > though this excercise in order to get a few small bugs tidied up.
76
77 IRC is a nice medium many times, but not everyone that's in there has
78 the time to follow it all the time. The answer you recieved is clearly
79 wrong imho. The answer that whoever you talked to should have given you
80 should be, "Could you please put this in a mail and send to gentoo-dev
81 because I haven't got time to look into this right now".
82
83 Thanks for the reports (all have been dealt with except for the minicom
84 which I've added a todo about),
85
86 Regards,
87 Mikael Hallendal