From: Timothy Redaelli <drizzt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage idea - auto embed user patches
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:51:53
1 Alexander Zubkov wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > I have some idea on extending portage building system (ebuild?).
4 > Sometimes I'm (for example) want to apply custom patch to some package.
5 > This patch can do something unusual, that can not be accepted by
6 > maintainers and I know this. But I like features in my patch and want it
7 > to apply automatically when updating the package. Not to do it like this:
8 > $ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 unpack
9 > $ cd /var/tmp/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/work/...
10 > $ patch -p1 < ~/my-patch-for-some-package
11 > $ cd
12 > $ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 merge
13 >
14 > It is lot of manual work. The idea is having an file, for example
15 > /etc/portage/package.patch with contents like this:
16 > =pkg-category/some-package-1* /path/to/my-patch-for-some-package
17 >
18 > Of course, patches could fail in newer versions. But when I'll use that
19 > feature - I'll understand why it can be and it'll be more convenient to
20 > maintain it.
21
22 You can use a bashrc script http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-339019.html
25 Timothy `Drizzt` Redaelli - http://drizzt.bsdnet.eu/blog/
26 FreeSBIE Developer, Gentoo Developer, GUFI Staff
27 There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
28 We don't believe this to be a coincidence. -- Jeremy S. Anderson