From: Tom Schumm <gentoo@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 suggestion - bootstrap with distcc
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:18:44
1 > I still would like to beta-test a bootstrap process powered by distcc. In
2 > case it works, it would be a really nice speed boost to the installation
3 > process. I think it's worth the time even if you only build gcc, glibc and
4 > the kernel with distcc (gcc and kernel are confirmed to work ok).
5
6 I've been playing around quite a bit with distcc, including using it during
7 the bootstrap, and dispite my best efforts, I have been utterly unable to
8 compile glibc with distcc (though to be quite honest, understanding complex
9 makefiles is not my bag.) Also, it is not possible (as far as I can tell) to
10 use distcc during stage 2 or stage 3 of the gcc bootstrap. Being that glibc
11 is probably the most time consuming build, and two thirds of gcc (the second
12 most time consuing build) can't garner a speedup, the value of using distcc
13 during the bootstrap is well outweighed by the amount of effort it takes to
14 get it working even that much. In fact, with stage2 tarballs available for
15 just about every processor, the value of starting from stage1 isn't nearly as
16 big as it was with previous versions of Gentoo.
17
18 However, it is possible to use distcc after the bootstrap. Just bootstrap
19 without it, or use the stage2 tarball, then emerge distcc and configure it
20 before doing emerge system. That works pretty well (though with distcc 0.11
21 I've had more packages fail than with 0.10 - I haven't had a chance to try
22 0.12 yet).
23
24 Also, the kernel compiles just swimmingly with distcc. I recommend that
25 everyone try it to achieve maximum happiness levels.
26
27 -- Tom Schumm
28 http://www.phong.org/