From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a #g-d first impression might represent process and metastructure
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:13:04
1 Jim Northrup wrote:
2 > 1) There is nowhere specified on gentoo.org or gentoo maintained sites
3 > I've rtfm'd specifying any hint of conduct guidelines for being a
4 > developer interfacing with the outside world, representing the
5 > organization. Common social ettiquette does not always reside with
6 > skilled techies...
7
8 Since you have given zero context, I'm really not sure what you are writing
9 about. Are you saying that you are interested in becoming a developer with the
10 task of interfacing between the development community and the user base..?
11
12 > 2) There are gentoo.org references to #gentoo-dev, but the process of
13 > interfacing, mentoring, and recruiting are self-referential beginning
14 > with a bootstrap of being on the good side of an existing developer. So
15 > for those of us who do not establish favorable dialogues by filing a
16 > bug, the door starts out closed.
17
18 Thats pretty much correct - the entire development community revolves heavily
19 around bugzilla. We use it for much more than bugs - we use it for requests,
20 suggestions, things that just aren't quite right, improvements, software
21 submissions, documentation submissions, and many other things that aren't
22 actually "bugs". So pretty much any contribution anyone can make can or will
23 go through bugzilla. Yes, we really really need bugzilla documentation.
24
25 Secondary to bugzilla there is IRC and mailing lists. It's a lot harder to get
26 recognised here though. According to my mail client, I've read some of your
28 more memorable when you take a patch from bugzilla and have to physically
29 write the contributors name into the package ChangeLog in return for their effort.
30
31 But sometimes getting a wake-up call can be very useful. User feedback distant
32 from the development community can be very useful. I tend to file bugs based
33 on this kind of feedback. Take one I handled today, which I've seen a few
34 times. The installation handbook contained this sentence for 5 months:
35
36 "As shown in the above listing, the current profile contains a 2.4
37 subdirectory. This means that the current profile uses the 2.6 kernel."
38
39 Some users find it hard to convince themselves that this might possibly *not*
40 be a typo. And you can't blame them, once you take a step back from the
41 understanding that Gentoo profiles are cascaded.
42
43 Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could write to Gentoo user relations with
44 your experiences, what information you are lacking, and where you would expect
45 to find it.
46
47 Daniel
48 --