From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uncoordinated changes
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:18:40
1 On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The new schema collapses herd (err, project!) into maintainers (err,
4 > sustainers ... staff ... linchpin?)
5 > And maintainer is defined as:
6 > <!ELEMENT maintainer ( email, (description| name)* )>
7 >
8 > Which means that only email is mandatory. So instead of search by name
9 > you are now required to search by email.
10 > And it leads to inconsistent (partial) duplication: Some metadata.xml
11 > entries carry Name, some Description, and some are Email only.
12 >
13 > For example for gentoolkit this means that instead of search by name now
14 > it needs to be search by email, and the previous search by name
15 > functionality requires herds.xml, err, projects.xml to figure out the
16 > name of a project. Which might not match the one in metadata.xml!
17
18 This is all correct and intentional. I actually didn't care for
19 having the name in metadata.xml for exactly that reason, but the
20 intent of having it there (and optional) was to make the file more
21 human-readable. Tools that intend to search by name should obtain the
22 name from the authoritative source (ultimately the Wiki, but mirrored
23 in projects.xml).
24
25 If we made metadata.xml the source of project names then your search
26 would break anytime a maintainer spells a name differently. If we
27 imagine building a bunch of tools to prevent this from happening, we
28 might as well build a bunch of tools that just references the name
29 from projects.xml (which is what they'd have to do to prevent the
30 breakage anyway).
31
32 Feel free to peruse the various list discussions and council logs.
33 Most of what you're bringing up has come up before.
36 Rich