From: John Helmert III <jchelmert3@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 19:02:11
1 On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 02:57:12PM +0100, m1027 wrote:
2 > > > On 29 Dec 2020, at 09:13, Marcel Schilling
3 > > > <marcel.schilling@××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > I just want to comment that I switched to LibreSSL on several
6 > > > Gentoo systems years ago and never had any major issues. I run
7 > > > both desktop and server systems with LibreSSL, based on X and
8 > > > Wayland. The only issues I ran into is a slight lag of the
9 > > > overlay behind the main tree so once in a while I had to mask a
10 > > > new version of some package for a week or so.
11 >
12 > Let me just come back on the different views here:
13 >
14 > @marcel: Exactly the same here. Smoothly running libressl on dozens
15 > of systems here, from embedded to ryzen servers, even on Gnome
16 > desktops. At least from the libressl *user's* perspective.
17 >
18 > sam:
19 >
20 > > TL;DR: [...libressl patches are...] just crippling functionality.
21 >
22 > @sam: From the perspective of libressl maintainers I have had a hard
23 > time reading this thread ;-) to learn that even security is supposed
24 > to be an issue with libressl today!? Aren't these crippling patches
25 > sometimes even helpful (see some apache patches) to crop unreliable
26 > extra features? I might be wrong here. Actually I'd prefer something
27 > 'boring' and stable on ssl over new features...
28 >
29 > Well, I cannot judge on the security issues in depth. From a short
30 > internet scan I don't see recent libressl issues but e.g. this one
31 > on openssl, https://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html, only
32 > three weeks ago.
33
34 That particular vulnerability (CVE-2020-1971) affects both libressl and openssl, and
35 Gentoo has bugs for both.
36
37 https://bugs.gentoo.org/759079
38 https://bugs.gentoo.org/759175
39
40 The openssl bug has been fixed, but the libressl bug remains open,
41 despite both being opened within two days of each (and now existing
42 for several weeks).