From: m1027 <m1027@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: marcel.schilling@××××××××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:57:20
1 > > On 29 Dec 2020, at 09:13, Marcel Schilling
2 > > <marcel.schilling@××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I just want to comment that I switched to LibreSSL on several
5 > > Gentoo systems years ago and never had any major issues. I run
6 > > both desktop and server systems with LibreSSL, based on X and
7 > > Wayland. The only issues I ran into is a slight lag of the
8 > > overlay behind the main tree so once in a while I had to mask a
9 > > new version of some package for a week or so.
10
11 Let me just come back on the different views here:
12
13 @marcel: Exactly the same here. Smoothly running libressl on dozens
14 of systems here, from embedded to ryzen servers, even on Gnome
15 desktops. At least from the libressl *user's* perspective.
16
17 sam:
18
19 > TL;DR: [...libressl patches are...] just crippling functionality.
20
21 @sam: From the perspective of libressl maintainers I have had a hard
22 time reading this thread ;-) to learn that even security is supposed
23 to be an issue with libressl today!? Aren't these crippling patches
24 sometimes even helpful (see some apache patches) to crop unreliable
25 extra features? I might be wrong here. Actually I'd prefer something
26 'boring' and stable on ssl over new features...
27
28 Well, I cannot judge on the security issues in depth. From a short
29 internet scan I don't see recent libressl issues but e.g. this one
30 on openssl, https://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html, only
31 three weeks ago.
32
33 Anyway, my personal conclusion on security:
34
35 I've once switched to libressl because of the heartbleed issue. If
36 security is better with openssl these days, I'd of course switch
37 back. It might be worth having some warm explanations on the
38 motivation in eselect NEWS, to help people out of the initial state
39 of shock.
40
41 > > So from a pure user perspective, thing change would mean a risky update
42 > > to systems running stable for years with no gain whatsoever.
43
44 Coming back on the technical way to switch back to openssl:
45
46 Thanks to Gentoo, isn't the switch back more or less something
47 predictable like
48
49 - removing libressl USE / CURL flags
50
51 - download everything before compiling (emerge -f ...)
52
53 - removing libressl, installing openssl, maybe wget then, followed
54 by the rest?
55
56 It plead for something that actually *works* as many systems will
57 need that change here.
58
59 Thanks