From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: marcel.schilling@××××××××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 14:12:26
1 On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 14:57 +0100, m1027 wrote:
2 > > > On 29 Dec 2020, at 09:13, Marcel Schilling
3 > > > <marcel.schilling@××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > I just want to comment that I switched to LibreSSL on several
6 > > > Gentoo systems years ago and never had any major issues.  I run
7 > > > both desktop and server systems with LibreSSL, based on X and
8 > > > Wayland. The only issues I ran into is a slight lag of the
9 > > > overlay behind the main tree so once in a while I had to mask a
10 > > > new version of some package for a week or so.
11 >
12 > Let me just come back on the different views here:
13 >
14 > @marcel: Exactly the same here. Smoothly running libressl on dozens
15 > of systems here, from embedded to ryzen servers, even on Gnome
16 > desktops. At least from the libressl *user's* perspective.
17 >
18 > sam:
19 >
20 > > TL;DR: [...libressl patches are...] just crippling functionality.
21 >
22 > @sam: From the perspective of libressl maintainers I have had a hard
23 > time reading this thread ;-) to learn that even security is supposed
24 > to be an issue with libressl today!? Aren't these crippling patches
25 > sometimes even helpful (see some apache patches) to crop unreliable
26 > extra features? I might be wrong here. Actually I'd prefer something
27 > 'boring' and stable on ssl over new features...
28 >
29 > Well, I cannot judge on the security issues in depth. From a short
30 > internet scan I don't see recent libressl issues but e.g. this one
31 > on openssl, https://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html, only
32 > three weeks ago.
33 >
34 > Anyway, my personal conclusion on security:
35 >
36 > I've once switched to libressl because of the heartbleed issue.  If
37 > security is better with openssl these days, I'd of course switch
38 > back.
39
40 I can't say anything for sure but it is pretty clear that since
41 Heartbleed the level of auditing OpenSSL is receiving is much greater.
42 I honestly doubt that with its comparatively little user base LibreSSL
43 gets the same level of attention.
44
45 I don't really have the time or motivation to try to look for LibreSSL
46 security issues. But if there's no CVE for such a core package for two
47 years, it either means that it's really good, that it's practically
48 dead or that nobody is actually releasing CVEs for it.
49
50 >   It might be worth having some warm explanations on the
51 > motivation in eselect NEWS, to help people out of the initial state
52 > of shock.
53
54 Of course a news item will be released once we determine the proper
55 course of action.
58 > > > So from a pure user perspective, thing change would mean a risky
59 > > > update
60 > > > to systems running stable for years with no gain whatsoever.
61 >
62 > Coming back on the technical way to switch back to openssl:
63 >
64 > Thanks to Gentoo, isn't the switch back more or less something
65 > predictable like
66 >
67 > - removing libressl USE / CURL flags
68 >
69 > - download everything before compiling (emerge -f ...)
70 >
71 > - removing libressl, installing openssl, maybe wget then, followed
72 >   by the rest?
73 >
74 > It plead for something that actually *works* as many systems will
75 > need that change here.
78 We are currently waiting for test results. We don't want to guess
79 without testing for sure.
82 Best regards,
83 Michał Górny