From: John Stalker <stalker@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliance
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:33:44
1 I assume the reason that portage is in /usr and db/pkg is in
2 /var is that that is where FreeBSD puts ports and db/pkg.
3 Of course FreeBSD doesn't have any reason to worry about
4 FHS compliance. Since I am compulsive about having up to
5 date versions of everything I mount /usr rw, so this is not
6 an issue for me personally.
7
8 > Chris Moore wrote: [Sat Feb 2 2002, 3:42:32AM EST]
9
10 > > Move the portage package ebuild filetree from /usr/portage to
11 > > /var/lib/portage ( See 5.8.3 +-<pkgtool> and cross reference the
12 > > purposes of the /usr hierarchy with the purpose of /var which is
13 > > summarized as follows: /usr's purpose is shareable read-only data
14 > > (ebuilds are updated!) /var's purpose is sharable/unsharable DYNAMIC
15 > > application data (such as the ebuild dirtree) and /var/lib has the
16 > > specific option for the package tool's dynamic data)
17 >
18 > I'm not sure that the ebuild dirtree should be considered 'dynamic'.
19 > The only time it *needs* to be updated (written) is shortly before doing
20 > a merge. Since the merge is going to be going around writing stuff in
21 > the /usr tree anyway, updating /usr/portage doesn't seem that bad. I
22 > haven't settled on a personal opinion yet, so I'm mostly playing devil's
23 > advocate here.
24 >
25 > Consider a normal case where /usr is actually mounted r/o, such as on a
26 > local network of machines where most of the machines mount /usr
27 > read-only from a remote file server. In this case, none of these
28 > subordinate machines would need to update /usr/portage. If you wanted
29 > to install new software, you would do so on the file server where
30 > /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/portage, etc. are all mounted r/w, and
31 > therefore you could do the 'emerge rsync' as well package merges.
32 >
33 > Now that I think about it, this same argument would apply to
34 > /var/db/pkg, though, so I guess to be consistant the two (/usr/portage
35 > and /var/db/pkg) should be in the same place. Do they both belong in
36 > /usr?
37 >
38 > --Chouser
40 > gentoo-dev mailing list