From: Chris Houser <chouser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliance
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:10:27
1 Chris Moore wrote: [Sat Feb 2 2002, 3:42:32AM EST]
2 > Move the portage package ebuild filetree from /usr/portage to
3 > /var/lib/portage ( See 5.8.3 +-<pkgtool> and cross reference the
4 > purposes of the /usr hierarchy with the purpose of /var which is
5 > summarized as follows: /usr's purpose is shareable read-only data
6 > (ebuilds are updated!) /var's purpose is sharable/unsharable DYNAMIC
7 > application data (such as the ebuild dirtree) and /var/lib has the
8 > specific option for the package tool's dynamic data)
9
10 I'm not sure that the ebuild dirtree should be considered 'dynamic'.
11 The only time it *needs* to be updated (written) is shortly before doing
12 a merge. Since the merge is going to be going around writing stuff in
13 the /usr tree anyway, updating /usr/portage doesn't seem that bad. I
14 haven't settled on a personal opinion yet, so I'm mostly playing devil's
15 advocate here.
16
17 Consider a normal case where /usr is actually mounted r/o, such as on a
18 local network of machines where most of the machines mount /usr
19 read-only from a remote file server. In this case, none of these
20 subordinate machines would need to update /usr/portage. If you wanted
21 to install new software, you would do so on the file server where
22 /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/portage, etc. are all mounted r/w, and
23 therefore you could do the 'emerge rsync' as well package merges.
24
25 Now that I think about it, this same argument would apply to
26 /var/db/pkg, though, so I guess to be consistant the two (/usr/portage
27 and /var/db/pkg) should be in the same place. Do they both belong in
28 /usr?
29
30 --Chouser