From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo/Cygwin?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:39:46
1 On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 11:13 +0200, tchiwam wrote:
2 > I would think this port would potentially open the biggest market to
3 > gentoo, and the scariest one too...
4 Not really.
5 Cygwin is so horribly broken in some respects that sometimes I think a
6 complete rewrite would be easier ...
7 (e.g. broken linker, broken pathname handling, ...)
8
9 > In order I would say:
10 > -Learn about OSX and "system provided services"
11 OSX is BSD. Windows is windows.
12 The base of OSX is mostly usable for Portage, the base of Windows has
13 nothing in common with Unix.
14
15 > -Take a look at the BSD and OSX to see if there is QC things that would
16 > be usefull to bring over.
17 Gentoo/BSD has led to some nice portage modifications, but Cygwin would
18 need some really weird adaptations. I doubt that much could be
19 transferred from the BSD porting.
20
21 Having Portage on Win32 would be really neat if only from a PR point of
22 view, there seems to be some interest (mainly because cygwin has no
23 concept of package managment), but it won't be end-user friendly and
24 useful for a long time.
25
26 Patrick