From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Last rites mail-client/muttng
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:02:40
1 Masked mail-client/muttng pending removal, unless someone steps up/takes
2 over. Removal after 30 days.
5 On 26-05-2007 10:52:07 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
6 > Hi all,
7 >
8 > mail-client/muttng currently sits in the tree as some sort of orphan.
9 > It used to be a fork of Mutt, having many patches applied, features
10 > added and code cleaned up. However, at a certain point the project
11 > died, one of the main developers went back to Mutt and applied his
12 > patches there. Currently most of these patches are applied in Mutt's
13 > sources, or patches have been made to work with Mutt. Some have even
14 > improved a lot (e.g. SMTP support is native in Mutt, while it uses
15 > libesmtp in muttng).
16 >
17 > Current state of muttng is a bit vague. It tries to be a collection of
18 > patches against the latest development version of Mutt. However, since
19 > the latest svn release of muttng, I have never updated the package, as I
20 > don't really know what can or should be released from it. The result is
21 > IMO bitrot, and bugs/security holes are not fixed. Additionally, Mutt
22 > seems to have superceeded muttng by now.
23 >
24 > For this reason I would like to drop muttng from the tree (in a normal
25 > procedure, of course). I know at least one Gentoo (Security) dev seems
26 > to use muttng instead of mutt currently. If someone knows how life for
27 > muttng should continue, feel free to take over the package. If you are
28 > using muttng now, consider moving to the latest Mutt.
29 >
30 > Please speak up now if there are major reasons to keep muttng in the
31 > tree, despite being unmaintained and out of date.
35 Fabian Groffen
36 Gentoo on a different level
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list