From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Intentions to remove mail-client/muttng from the tree
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 08:55:06
1 Hi all,
2
3 mail-client/muttng currently sits in the tree as some sort of orphan.
4 It used to be a fork of Mutt, having many patches applied, features
5 added and code cleaned up. However, at a certain point the project
6 died, one of the main developers went back to Mutt and applied his
7 patches there. Currently most of these patches are applied in Mutt's
8 sources, or patches have been made to work with Mutt. Some have even
9 improved a lot (e.g. SMTP support is native in Mutt, while it uses
10 libesmtp in muttng).
11
12 Current state of muttng is a bit vague. It tries to be a collection of
13 patches against the latest development version of Mutt. However, since
14 the latest svn release of muttng, I have never updated the package, as I
15 don't really know what can or should be released from it. The result is
16 IMO bitrot, and bugs/security holes are not fixed. Additionally, Mutt
17 seems to have superceeded muttng by now.
18
19 For this reason I would like to drop muttng from the tree (in a normal
20 procedure, of course). I know at least one Gentoo (Security) dev seems
21 to use muttng instead of mutt currently. If someone knows how life for
22 muttng should continue, feel free to take over the package. If you are
23 using muttng now, consider moving to the latest Mutt.
24
25 Please speak up now if there are major reasons to keep muttng in the
26 tree, despite being unmaintained and out of date.
29 Fabian Groffen
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list