From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The Seed Project - Try 2
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 02:46:54
1 Ok, so we had a rather interesting debate (which quickly went out of control)
2 today on the whole Gentoo seed project. One of the recommendations that came
3 through the flames was a liaison to help communicate between the two parties,
4 the people running the seed project and release engineering. The idea I had
5 for being a liaison was as follows:
6
7 1) Weekly summary of the project provided about Saturday my time, as that's
8 about the only guaranteed free time I can provide
9
10 2) Working with both sides to produce a logical GLEP. People are wondering
11 whether or not we need one, let's make everyone happy and provide one on the
12 spot for people to have.
13
14 3) Mirror storage seemed to be an issue. There are plenty of offerings from
15 the adopt-a-dev project for bandwidth and server space that I think could be
16 utilized to suit this and let release engineering utilize the official space
17 for their releases.
18
19 4) Providing release engineering with extra help through bug wrangling and
20 usage of some of my hardware for future release testing. This would also
21 involve familiarizing myself with the catalyst system, the release
22 engineering project in general, and a general idea of related projects around
23 it.
24
25 Now, the reality is I'm pretty much head diving into a brick wall so to speak.
26 I know there are already people strongly opposed (If we couldn't tell be the
27 rather long thread currently in progress), and at this point, I'm somewhat
28 waiting things out, as people are just plain pissed off right now, and trying
29 to establish things isn't going to happen overnight.
30
31 I'm hoping this will work out for the best. I've seen Gentoo go through a
32 lot, but this particular case has me scared of the future of Gentoo. If this
33 escalates anymore, I fear we'll have more things to worry about than this
34 particular project.
35 --
36 Chris White
37 Gentoo Developer