From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds, Teams and Projects
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:38:28
1 On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 15:54 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > > A herd is a group of like *packages*
3 > > A team is a bunch of people who share a common goal (sometimes to
4 > > maintain a herd of packages).
5 > > A herd is also a bunch of mindless beasts who follow each other.
6 >
7 > The metastructure document (which we voted in as our governing
8 > document last year) uses the term 'project' instead of team, and makes
9 > no mention of herds at all.
10
11 Except the metastructure document actually has zero bearing in this,
12 since it wasn't a proposal of how to maintain packages. It was a
13 proposal on how we would try to organize ourselves. A herd plays no
14 part in this organization, which is why it wasn't mentioned then, and
15 shouldn't be mentioned now.
16
17 > I think the way forward would be to have this clarification (of herds
18 > vs teams) added to the metastructure document, and then for us to sort
19 > out the metadata.xml files on the back of that.
20 >
21 > I guess any change to that document should be subject to a vote.
22
23 I sincerely hope that we do not change that document, which was quite
24 good at pertaining only to what was necessary, into trying to be some
25 form of document to pertain to everything.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team
31 Games - Developer