From: Dan Naumov <jago@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposition for stage3.
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:51:56
1 Hello.
2
3 I just thought I'd share an idea I had about stage3. I think it would be
4 nice if it was usable for systems older then i686 and if it used -O1 or
5 -O2 instead of -O3. The reasons are simple:
6
7 The majority of the people who actually want to use stage3 do so because
8 of the time it takes to build the ENTIRE system from scratch. This
9 mainly applies to old PC's, which are obviously older then i686. I've
10 seen quite a few people on #gentoo complain that it is a major pain in
11 the ass to install Gentoo on an old system.
12
13 As for -O1 / -O2 instead of the default -O3, it's just that some people
14 want to be "safe". I've had all kinds of weirnesses and unexplainable
15 crashes due to software compiled with -O3 and no other optimisations.
16 These problems always went away after a recompile with -O2. And I am
17 pretty sure I am not the only one who thinks that way, because many
18 people I know got "burned" when utilising heavy opts.
19
20 Sincerely,
25 | Dan Naumov (aka Jago on IRC) || Otavantie 2, 50670, |
26 | Otava Folk Highschool || Otava, Finland. |
28 | User of Gentoo Linux : http://www.gentoo.org |