From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel sources thread
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 05:45:44
1 On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 03:18:38PM -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Sunday 18 July 2004 2:10 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >
4 > > Well, that can't happen across the board until 2.6.x works on
5 > > everything. OTOH, it'd be nice if we started suggesting udev (without
6 > > that wretched tarball hack) for anyone running 2.6.x. Aside from one
7 > > rather nasty 64bit-related b0rkage, udev's been doing very nicely.
8 >
9 > Right. I didn't mean that as a question of 'where should we be Now', but
10 > 'where do we want to be later'... it's probably a foregone conclusion
11 > (with gregkh steering things) that udev is on its way, but perhaps that
12 > leaves a question mark of where how we will support devfs when that
13 > happens.
14 >
15 > That said, I don't know how many hacks exist in the package tree to add
16 > udev support.
17
18 I don't know of any such "hacks" becides the tarball stuff. That will
19 be necessary for a number of different devices over time until we
20 finally fix up all of the kernel code. Actually I think we are pretty
21 much done with all of the patches for this for a while now. If there
22 are any missing places (other than the ones listed already in this
23 thread), please let me know and I'll look into fixing it up.
24
25 thanks,
26
27 greg k-h