From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel sources thread
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:18:46
1 On Sunday 18 July 2004 2:10 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > Well, that can't happen across the board until 2.6.x works on
4 > everything. OTOH, it'd be nice if we started suggesting udev (without
5 > that wretched tarball hack) for anyone running 2.6.x. Aside from one
6 > rather nasty 64bit-related b0rkage, udev's been doing very nicely.
7
8 Right. I didn't mean that as a question of 'where should we be Now', but
9 'where do we want to be later'... it's probably a foregone conclusion
10 (with gregkh steering things) that udev is on its way, but perhaps that
11 leaves a question mark of where how we will support devfs when that
12 happens.
13
14 That said, I don't know how many hacks exist in the package tree to add
15 udev support. Supporting both might be trivial, therefore my assumptions
16 might be wrong.
17
18 Maybe gregkh can comment on this in detail.
19
20 Cheers,
21 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
22 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F