From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed future EAPI feature: FILES whitelist
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 07:03:08
1 On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 00:30:31 +1200
2 Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Just an idea that seemed obvious enough and obviously missing.
5
6 Sounds like a great way to discourage people from contributing even
7 further. I'm going to say that developers leaving mess in their
8 FILESDIR is rather a pathological case, so why does everyone need to
9 suffer for their carelessness?
10
11 And even then, stale files are a minor nuisance compared to the cost of
12 maintaining redundant list of all files. Not to mention that the size
13 of the lists will easily exceed size of the stale patches.
14
15 Then, some eclasses access FILESDIR directly, and do magic if some
16 files exist in there. Not saying it's anywhere close to sanity -- just
17 that people do it.
18
19 Finally, the same though occurred to me as to ulm. People will forget
20 to update the variable. They will forget to update it when adding,
21 and they will waste their time on build that is going to fail somewhere
22 at doinit in the end -- how nice is that? Then, they will forget to
23 update it when removing and the file will be kept stale.
24
25 Any solution you can try to invent to solve those problems, or make
26 the system any more friendly, is actually making it more complex,
27 harder to comprehend and even more costly.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny
32 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>