From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed future EAPI feature: FILES whitelist
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 08:12:13
1 On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:02:41 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Finally, the same though occurred to me as to ulm. People will forget
5 > to update the variable. They will forget to update it when adding,
6 > and they will waste their time on build that is going to fail somewhere
7 > at doinit in the end -- how nice is that? Then, they will forget to
8 > update it when removing and the file will be kept stale.
9 >
10 > Any solution you can try to invent to solve those problems, or make
11 > the system any more friendly, is actually making it more complex,
12 > harder to comprehend and even more costly.
13
14 Yeah, I'd probably have to scrap most of my suggestions and restrict the design
15 to something that was only an "optional extra" in order to be useful.
16
17 If I was to re-do the concept, it would be mostly a hashover of what we use in Perl
18 for patches.
19
20 So a reduced suggestion would be:
21
22 1. Add a PATCHES var to EAPI7
23 2. PATCHES is analogous to SRC_URI, a string
24 3. PATCHES supports USE conditionals
25 4. PATCHES is ordered.
26 5. ${FILESDIR} works as it always did
27 6. PATCHES describes components of FILESDIR
28 7. PATCHES is evaluated in terms of USE to yield EFFECTIVE_PATCHES, an array
29 8. Default src_prepare applied eapply to all values in EFFECTIVE_PATCHES
30 9. Items in PATCHES are checked by repoman "they must exist"
31
32 The difference between this suggestion and the previous one importantly
33 is it can't be used to whitelist, it can only be used to
34
35 1. Simplify how patches are applied for people who want it
36 2. Add extra assurance to repoman if people use the feature
37
38 Neither of these are exactly "Compelling" features, but it would
39 in part reduce the work. It would also avoid double-bookkeeping
40 by adding no features that require double-bookkeeping, and would simply be a
41 generalization/enhancement of similar features already found in ebuilds.
42
43 Anything that needed something more fancy than PATCHES would sill be able
44 to and do its own stuff, and it would simply not get any benefits of repoman
45 side consistency checks.
46
47 And people who needed extra magic could also do:
50 src_prepare() {
51 # extra stuff
52 default; # does eapply EFFECTIVE_PATCHES && eapply_user
53 }