From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed future EAPI feature: FILES whitelist
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:15:24
1 >>>>> On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 > So a reduced suggestion would be:
4
5 > 1. Add a PATCHES var to EAPI7
6 > 2. PATCHES is analogous to SRC_URI, a string
7 > 3. PATCHES supports USE conditionals
8
9 I am not convinced that USE-conditional patching should be encouraged.
10 Because so far the policy was that whenever possible, patches should
11 be applied unconditionally and any conditionals should be configure
12 options. So that patches could eventually be sent upstream.
13
14 It is somewhat similar to epatch's arch conditional patching (as in
15 10_sparc_foo.patch) which for the same reason was labelled as "highly
16 discouraged" in 2010. Also that feature wasn't added to eapply.
17
18 > 4. PATCHES is ordered.
19 > 5. ${FILESDIR} works as it always did
20 > 6. PATCHES describes components of FILESDIR
21 > 7. PATCHES is evaluated in terms of USE to yield EFFECTIVE_PATCHES, an array
22 > 8. Default src_prepare applied eapply to all values in EFFECTIVE_PATCHES
23 > 9. Items in PATCHES are checked by repoman "they must exist"
24
25 Under that new scheme, how would I apply patches unpacked into
26 WORKDIR? In EAPI 6, I can put them into the PATCHES variable and use
27 the default src_prepare to process it.
28
29 > The difference between this suggestion and the previous one importantly
30 > is it can't be used to whitelist, it can only be used to
31
32 > 1. Simplify how patches are applied for people who want it
33 > 2. Add extra assurance to repoman if people use the feature
34
35 > Neither of these are exactly "Compelling" features, but it would
36 > in part reduce the work. It would also avoid double-bookkeeping
37 > by adding no features that require double-bookkeeping, and would simply be a
38 > generalization/enhancement of similar features already found in ebuilds.
39
40 Ulrich