From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: djc@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:22:10
1 On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:03:49 +0100
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > The daily updated stats [2] show a slow general trend down.
7 > > There's historical data (well, just a few days right now at [3]
8 >
9 > What are you looking at here? .ebuild files in the tree? Or latest
10 > version per-package?
11
12 The same as the repoman warnings do, the .ebuild files; to confirm this
13 `grep -r --include='*.ebuild'
14 '^\w*EAPI=\(['"'"'"]1['"'"'"]\|1\)' /usr/portage/ | wc -l` yields 361.
15
16 > Old EAPI versions are obviously only a burden for developers if there
17 > are actually developers looking at those packages/versions/ebuilds...
18
19 Maintainership over a package would imply that you also maintain all of
20 its versions, unless you restrict yourself (but then the rest goes m-n);
21 they don't necessarily sit in the way for a maintainer, however, there's
22 still the possibility for people to use them as well as that they cause
23 bugs that stay around and act as noise. But there's something else:
24
25 Apart from that, they however sit in the way of deprecating support for
26 that EAPI; at one point it becomes tedious to have to support 10 EAPIs
27 in our code (eg. Portage), hence we should aim to deprecate versions of
28 a few years old. Keeping old stuff around can take its toll...
31 With kind regards,
32
33 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
34 Gentoo Developer
35
36 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
37 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
38 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D