From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:17:56
1 Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Aron Griffis wrote:
3 >> Grant Goodyear wrote: [Tue Jan 10 2006, 11:09:15AM EST]
4 >>
5 >>> As an aside, it's ciarnanm has already put work in on developing an RST to
6 >>> guidexml converter, so I wouldn't worry too much about RST not scaling.
7 >>
8 >> Could that be used dynamically on the server? The last time I was
9 >> familiar with the gentoo.org server, it was running axkit and
10 >> dynamically generating HTML from the GuideXML. Is it a relatively
11 >> simple matter to support .rst files in the same manner?
12 >
13 > Actually, we're moving away from axkit because its a PITA to maintain.
14 > Currently, two of the three web nodes are running a home grown app
15 > called gorg that runs via ruby. It seems to work rather well.
16 >
17 >> A related question: How hard would it be to enable the dynamic
18 >> generation for dev.gentoo.org/~users? That would make development of
19 >> RST or GuideXML documents *much* simpler, since we could just work on
20 >> the file in our public_html and test render it by accessing through
21 >> a web browser.
22 >
23 > Last I knew, its not a simple task for generating those nice looking
24 > html pages that ciaranm made a while back for the developer docs. When I
25 > asked him about (he can probably provide more detail), It took a lot of
26 > processing time and wasn't that scalable. Now, I'm not sure if anything
27 > has changed since then.
28 >
29 > I can probably setup toucan to use gorg in some fashion if I had a few
30 > folks to test it with. I'm sure that would make things easier for a lot
31 > of people for rendering things.
34 yes and it would be much appreciated to have this possibility on
35 d.g.o/~users/ .
36
37 tester += me, if that can help.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list